Are you looking to join British Taekwondo and set up a new club with us?
If the answer to this is yes… please email the British Taekwondo Development Officer with the following information:
- Are you already a member of any other World Taekwondo Organisations in the United Kingdom?
- What the club will be called?
- Who will be involved i.e. Joe Bloggs (Lead Instructor) Jane Smith (Welfare Officer), John Smith (Finance Manager) etc?
- Where the club will be based, including post code?
- Who will the club sessions will be aimed at i.e. children and adults, children, females, disabled sessions?
Please provide as much information as possible, as this will allow us to deal with your enquiry in the most efficient way possible.
To join British Taekwondo, a club must have the following;
- The lead Instructor MUST be 1st Dan/Black Belt Grade or higher (photos/scans of Dan-Grading certificates must be emailed to British Taekwondo as evidence)
- Suitable premises to host sessions (club must carry out health and safety checks in accordance with the British Taekwondo Health & Safety Policy and Procedures)
British Taekwondo strongly recommends that all clubs coming into British Taekwondo have the following in place:
- A designated Club Welfare Officer who is not related to, in a relationship with or co-habiting with the Lead Instructor (to deal with all Safeguarding and child protection matters at the club)
- The Club Welfare Officer has to attend ‘Safeguarding & Protecting Children’ and ‘Time to Listen’ or equivalent child protection training workshops and provide British Taekwondo with photocopies of their certificates
- A Management Committee (Chair Person, Administrator, Finance Manager, Development Coordinator etc.) to assist with the day to day running of the club duties i.e. membership administration, financial management, arranging and chairing club meetings, recruitment and marketing, club and Instructor development
- A Club Development Plan (to ensure the club is functioning properly, is sustainable and always adapting to changes)
For assistance with any club development matters, the club should contact the British Taekwondo Development Officer.
Once the club meets the required criteria, the British Taekwondo Development Officer will guide them through the next steps to becoming a registered British Taekwondo club.
- All Instructors at the club must Register with British Taekwondo on The Hub, gain full Disclosure Checks** clearance with British Taekwondo and apply for British Taekwondo Insurance through ‘The Hub’.
**Only England & Wales based Instructors should pay for their Disclosure Checks via The Hub, Instructors in Scotland, Northern Ireland or Gibraltar should complete a British Taekwondo Disclosure Checks Application Form (this form is not an actual Disclosure Check but allows British Taekwondo to begin this process). Please email Membership Services for further assistance with this.
We would also recommend checking out the Club Matters website for a host of resources and support that will help put you and your club on the right path from day 1.