What is Taekwondo?
- Taekwondo is a Martial Art, Olympic and Paralympic sport practised by over 60 million people Worldwide
- Taekwondo is a combat sport originating from South Korea
- Taekwondo in Korean means ‘Foot Fist Way’
- Taekwondo has been an Olympic Sport since the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games
- Taekwondo debuts as a Paralympic Sport at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games
- Great Britain has many successful Taekwondo athletes, including double Olympic Champion Jade Jones, double Olympic medallist Lutalo Muhammed, and World Champion Bianca Walkden
- British Taekwondo is the National Governing for Taekwondo in the UK
Why Try Taekwondo?
The UK have hundreds of great Taekwondo clubs, with different classes to suit all tastes, ages and abilities. Some may specialise in the sport aspect, with competition training forming the majority of their programme. Others may practice only the Martial Art, teaching traditional movements, self-defence and belt promotion modules.
The vast majority of clubs tend to offer a balance between the sport and Martial Art with different classes available.