Teaching, Instructing and Coaching can be one of the most rewarding experiences you can have, it comes with great responsibility and it demands great commitment. Students can make improvements through a structured programme of learning, meaningful practice, measured performance and appropriate competition. Effective coaches will create and manage a safe and fun environment. They will motivate their students to continue participating in Taekwondo, improve their performance and help them to achieve their goals. They will also understand what their students want to achieve, why they are participating in Taekwondo and they will create the appropriate opportunities to build on students’ strengths and improve their weaknesses.
We currently have four different types of people who deliver Taekwondo sessions:
- Coaches – people who lead sessions at the club and have successfully completed the Level 2 qualification in Coaching Taekwondo (the level 2 course is currently under review, with updates to follow in due course).
- Instructors – people who lead sessions at the club and have yet to attend, or complete, the Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Taekwondo Award course. The old ‘Instructors’ course is no longer offered.
- Assistant Instructors – people who assist sessions at the club under the guidance of their Coach or Instructor. This course is no longer offered.
- Activators – people who lead sessions, without supervision, in the community or at a club. The new Activators course is under development and will be available in the summer.
What are the requirements to deliver Taekwondo sessions:
- All Coaches and Instructors must be current British Taekwondo Members, with current British Taekwondo Instructor Insurance, Disclosure clearance through British Taekwondo and current Club Affiliation.
- Disclosure checks are undertaken by British Taekwondo every 3 years.
- Insurance cover is provided as part of British Taekwondo membership, when using local authority venues check the venue’s minimum insurance cover requirements.
- Coaches and Instructors must hold the rank of 1st Dan black belt or above with British Taekwondo and/or Kuukiwon.
- Activators can be lower than 1st Dan or can be teachers/coaches with experience of delivering engaging sessions in other sports.
- First aid cover must be provided for students and officials, either by the Coach/Instructor or the venue staff.